- This event has passed.
This FREE webinar series is targeted to aspiring farmers to help assess your fit and areas to consider before starting a farming business.
About this event
Are you an aspiring farmer, interested in starting a farming business? This FREE webinar series will help you assess your fit and identify considerations to assess with this new opportunity.
Through the 2 webinars, participants will learn about:
• What it takes to farm and the realities of modern farming
• Navigating financing and business planning
• Real-world case examples from successful new farm businesses
Part 1: March 4, 2022
Part 2: March 11, 2022
Each webinar takes place from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Where: FREE Zoom Webinars – One simple registration for both sessions.
Don’t miss this chance, Register Now by clicking ‘Register’.
Part 1, Friday, March 4, 2022 from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm Agenda:
1. Are you suited to farming? What type of person are you? What are your skills? What do you like to do? This session led by VCCS Employment Services will be a follow-up discussion to a pre-session online assessment you will complete following registration that will provide you insights into your strengths.
2. What it takes to farm – the realities of modern farming. Requirements of various types of farming. What resources do you have? Speaker: Rob Alexander – Nature’s Bounty Farm, apple farmer, chair of Durham Farm Fresh.
3. Access to land – OMAFRA specialists will cover a variety of options for agricultural land acquisition: including lease, non-family succession, farm start, purchase, work to own and others. An overview of resources available and an overview of the Farm Business Registration (FBR) program will be provided. Speakers: Mark Ferguson, Business Management Specialist and Erich Weber, Business Finance Specialist – OMAFRA
Part 2, Friday, March 11, 2022 11:30 am – 1:00 pm Agenda:
1. What can you do on agricultural land? – looking at permitted activities including agricultural, agriculture related uses and on-farm diversified uses. What should you know about land use regulations. Speaker: Jocelyn Beatty, Rural Planner, OMAFRA.
2. Financing and funding – A review of funding the start-up of a farming operation. Speaker: Justin Bell. Ag Lender and Peterborough area dairy farmer.
3. A vast wealth of farm-start resources available – Where to find them and where to start. From subject matter experts to start-up guides to local agricultural organizations, this session will provide a quick overview to help guide your further research and connections. Speaker: Kelly Maloney, Economic Development Officer – Agriculture, Kawartha Lakes.
4. Pulling it all together – Where to from here? Building your business plan, doing your homework and outreach to local supports. Stacey Jibb, Manager, Agriculture & Rural Economic Development, Region of Durham.
Register now for both sessions in one easy step.
Presented by 5 County Agriculture EcDev Collaborative
The agriculture and rural economic development teams within the five regions in east-central Ontario are collaborating to bring you these FREE webinars. Proudly presented by City of Kawartha Lakes, Durham Region, Northumberland County, Peterborough and the Kawarthas Economic Development, and York Region.