- This event has passed.
So You Think You Want to Farm?
This FREE webinar series is targeted to aspiring farmers to help assess your fit and areas to consider before starting a farming business.
About this event
Are you an aspiring farmer, interested in starting a farming business? This FREE webinar series will help you assess your fit and identify considerations to assess with this new opportunity.
Through the 2 webinars, participants will learn about:
• What it takes to farm and the realities of modern farming
• Navigating financing and business planning
• Real-world case examples from successful new farm businesses
Part 1: March 4, 2022
Part 2: March 11, 2022
Each webinar takes place from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Where: FREE Zoom Webinars – One simple registration for both sessions.
Don’t miss this chance, Register Now by clicking ‘Register’.
Part 1, Friday, March 4, 2022 from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm Agenda:
1. Are you suited to farming? What type of person are you? What are your skills? What do you like to do? This session led by VCCS Employment Services will be a follow-up discussion to a pre-session online assessment you will complete following registration that will provide you insights into your strengths.
2. What it takes to farm – the realities of modern farming. Requirements of various types of farming. What resources do you have? Speaker: Rob Alexander – Nature’s Bounty Farm, apple farmer, chair of Durham Farm Fresh.
3. Access to land – OMAFRA specialists will cover a variety of options for agricultural land acquisition: including lease, non-family succession, farm start, purchase, work to own and others. An overview of resources available and an overview of the Farm Business Registration (FBR) program will be provided. Speakers: Mark Ferguson, Business Management Specialist and Erich Weber, Business Finance Specialist – OMAFRA
Part 2, Friday, March 11, 2022 11:30 am – 1:00 pm Agenda:
1. What can you do on agricultural land? – looking at permitted activities including agricultural, agriculture related uses and on-farm diversified uses. What should you know about land use regulations. Speaker: Jocelyn Beatty, Rural Planner, OMAFRA.
2. Financing and funding – A review of funding the start-up of a farming operation. Speaker: Justin Bell. Ag Lender and Peterborough area dairy farmer.
3. A vast wealth of farm-start resources available – Where to find them and where to start. From subject matter experts to start-up guides to local agricultural organizations, this session will provide a quick overview to help guide your further research and connections. Speaker: Kelly Maloney, Economic Development Officer – Agriculture, Kawartha Lakes.
4. Pulling it all together – Where to from here? Building your business plan, doing your homework and outreach to local supports. Stacey Jibb, Manager, Agriculture & Rural Economic Development, Region of Durham.
Register now for both sessions in one easy step.
Presented by 5 County Agriculture EcDev Collaborative
The agriculture and rural economic development teams within the five regions in east-central Ontario are collaborating to bring you these FREE webinars. Proudly presented by City of Kawartha Lakes, Durham Region, Northumberland County, Peterborough and the Kawarthas Economic Development, and York Region.