Business Advisory Centre: Starter Company Plus
Make your business idea a reality with Starter Company Plus
Start or grow a business with the support and training that will set you up for success with Starter Company Plus.
Applications are now open!
Hear from Starter Company Plus Entrepreneurs on their experience with the program
Starter Company Plus is designed to provide business training for entrepreneurs (from aspiring to experienced) in the City of Peterborough and the County of Peterborough who are launching a business or expanding an existing business.
Starter Company Plus includes:
- In-class training with experts in their fields to help you plan your business- for Fall 2023, classes will take place in person in the boardroom of VentureNorth (270 George St. N.)
- Training and assistance in writing a business plan that may help you obtain more traditional financing in the future if you require it
- One-on-one consultations with the program facilitator
- A chance to receive a $5,000 microgrant
- An opportunity to build your network with other local small business owners and start-ups
- Participants in the program will have access to a 6-month trial membership with the Peterborough and the Kawarthas Chamber of Commerce
- A conditional pre-approved microloan from Community Futures Peterborough
- 12 applicants will be chosen for each intake.
- Upon successfully completing the program, participants will submit their final business plan and pitch for a chance to receive one of six $5,000 microgrants.
Fall 2023 Intake is coming soon! Applications will open on September 1st, 2023 for the Fall 2023 Intake.
Applications are not available in advance.
Important Program Dates for Fall 2023
Workshops (in-person at VentureNorth Building, 270 George St. N. in downtown Peterborough)
- Tuesday, October 10th- 10:00 am-4:00 pm
- Monday, October 16th- 10:00 am-4:00 pm
- Monday, October 23rd- 10:00 am-4:00 pm
- Monday, October 30th- 10:00 am-4:00 pm
- Monday, November 6th- 10:00 am-4:00 pm
Business Plan Submission (via email): Wednesday, November 8th by 5:00 pm
Business Pitch to Judges (in-person): Friday, November 17th
Micro-Grant Contract Meeting (in-person): Wednesday, November 22nd
Who Should Apply*
- Anyone aged 18 and over, who is out of school and interested in pursuing a career in entrepreneurship.
- Anyone interested in starting a new business or expanding an existing business that has been operating for five years or less within the City and County of Peterborough.
*For full eligibility criteria, please see the Eligibility Requirements for Starter Company Plus.
All Starter Company Plus program participants must be able to attend all required workshops, guest presentations, seminars, and program consultations. If you are in a business partnership, you may alternate which partner attends class.
A program syllabus will be emailed to all successful applicants ahead of the beginning of the program.
Successful applicants will be required to prove a personal financial contribution to their business in the amount of 25% of the awarded amount ($1,250 is 25% of $5,000). Eligible expenses must be reasonably aligned with your business (may include in-kind contributions).
Micro-Grant recipients, in accordance with the Grant Agreement, will submit monthly reports to the BAC for four months post-program. Monthly reports will include business tasks, operations, marketing activities, and grant funds expenditures (including receipts).
Small Business Newsletter
*Subject to change at the discretion of the program facilitator
This program is offered throughout the Province of Ontario. If you live outside of Peterborough & the Kawarthas, please visit Small Business Centres Ontario for information on an office in your area. Starter Company Plus is a program offered through the Peterborough & the Kawarthas Business Advisory Centre with funding from the Government of Ontario.