Business Advisory Centre: Starter Company Plus
Make your business idea a reality with Starter Company Plus
Start or grow a business with the support and training that will set you up for success with Starter Company Plus.
Hear from Starter Company Plus Entrepreneurs on their experience with the program
Starter Company Plus is designed to provide business training for entrepreneurs (from aspiring to experienced) in the City of Peterborough and the County of Peterborough who are launching a business or expanding an existing business.
Starter Company Plus includes:
- In-class (virtual) training with experts in their fields to help you plan your business
- Training and assistance in writing a business plan that may help you obtain more traditional financing in the future if you require it
- One-on-one consultations with the program facilitator
- A chance to receive a $5,000 microgrant
- An opportunity to build your network with other local small business owners and start ups
- 12 applicants will be chosen for each intake.
- Upon successful completion of the program, participants will submit their final business plan and pitch for a chance to receive one of six $5,000 microgrants.
Spring 2023 Intake – Schedule
All workshops will be conducted via Zoom from 10 am – 4 pm each day.
- Workshop #1- Monday, May 15th, 2023
- Workshop #2- Tuesday, May 23rd, 2023
- Workshop #3- Monday, May 29th, 2023
- Workshop #4- Monday, June 5th, 2023
- Workshop #5- Monday, June 12th, 2023
Business Plan Submission Due: Thursday, June 15th, 2023
In-Person Pitch Presentation to Judges: Thursday, June 22nd, 2023
In-Person Grant Contract Meeting: Wednesday, July 5th, 2023
Who Should Apply*
- Anyone aged 18 and over, who is out of school and interested in pursuing a career in entrepreneurship.
- Anyone interested in starting a new business or expanding an existing business that has been operating for five years or less within the City and County of Peterborough.
*For full eligibility criteria, please see the Eligibility Requirements for Starter Company Plus.
All Starter Company Plus program participants must be able to attend, via Zoom, all required workshops, guest presentations, seminars, and program consultations.
A program syllabus will be emailed to all successful applicants ahead of the beginning of the program.
Successful applicants will be required to prove a personal financial contribution to their business in the amount of 25% of the awarded amount ($1,250 is 25% of $5,000). Eligible expenses must be reasonably aligned with your business (may include in-kind contributions).
Micro-Grant recipients, in accordance with the Grant Agreement, will submit monthly reports to the BAC for four months post-program. Monthly reports will include business tasks, operations, marketing activities, and grant funds expenditures (including receipts).
*Subject to change at the discretion of the program facilitator
This program is offered throughout the Province of Ontario. If you live outside of Peterborough & the Kawarthas, please visit Small Business Centres Ontario for information on an office in your area. Starter Company Plus is a program offered through the Peterborough & the Kawarthas Business Advisory Centre with funding from the Government of Ontario.
Starter Company Plus Showcase Returns to Celebrate Small Businesses
Eight Local Small Businesses Receive Micro-Grants Through Starter Company Program
Seven local small businesses receive grants through Starter Company Plus program
SPARK Photo Festival part of Peterborough app maker’s push to bring tourism online