Economic Development Matters in Peterborough & the Kawarthas
PKED is the lead regional economic development agency for the Peterborough & the Kawarthas region.
Established in 1998, PKED is a not-for-profit organization funded to deliver economic development and tourism services through a Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Peterborough and the County of Peterborough. PKED is governed by a volunteer board of directors consisting of up to 13 local business leaders.
What We Do
PKED’s team of economic development experts strive to identify growth opportunities for the region and attract new companies and visitors by highlighting the region’s competitive advantages.
- PKED promotes and positions Peterborough & the Kawarthas as a destination of choice to live, work, invest, study and visit.
- PKED promotes and facilitates business opportunities to create a thriving economy for residents and communities, resulting in regional prosperity.
- PKED works closely with planning and infrastructure departments to identify a steady stream of employment lands for investors and businesses to expand and manage growth in the future.
- PKED works collaboratively with businesses, government, academic institutions, and industry partners.
- PKED supports the retention and growth of existing businesses and the attraction of new businesses and investments.
- PKED strives to support local companies in accessing the talent, knowledge, resources, and economic conditions they need to thrive.
- PKED supports industry in creating quality, sustainable jobs with a focus to grow the local economy through key economic sectors, including Aerospace, Agriculture, Advanced Manufacturing, Tourism, and Small Business (Entrepreneurship).
- PKED is responsible for tourism activities for the region as the Official Destination Marketing Organization through Peterborough & the Kawarthas Tourism. PKED also operates the regional Visitor Centre.
- PKED has a robust entrepreneurship development program through the Business Advisory Centre, providing consulting services for entrepreneurs and small business operators throughout the region.
- PKED plays an essential role as a leader and collaborative partner for critical initiatives, including uniting various stakeholders toward a common goal such as the development of the Mayor and Warden’s Economic Recovery Taskforce and the First Nations – Municipal Community Economic Development Initiative (CEDI).
To be the most sustainable and innovative community and economy in Ontario.
Board of Directors
Leaders from Peterborough & the Kawarthas business community sit on our Board of Directors and oversee and govern our not-for-profit corporation.
To facilitate an environment which will contribute to the creation of wealth, the growth of new employment and the development of an improving quality of life for area residents. PKED will promote, facilitate and develop a strong unified economic development presence for the Greater Peterborough area (being the entire geographic region consisting of the County of Peterborough and the City of Peterborough). PKED will work cooperatively with local municipalities and other organizations to ensure that investment opportunities throughout the entire Region are effectively developed. PKED, in working to fulfill its general mandate, will be guided by the corporation’s strategic plan.
Latest Blogs From Our CEO’s Desk
Hear from Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development President and CEO Rhonda Keenan.
Meet the companies and organizations we work closely with to make Peterborough an irresistible place to live, work, invest and visit.
Opportunities with Us
Browse opportunities for employment, requests for proposals, and requests for quotes.
Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Recovery Plan
Reporting & Accountability
PKED’s core economic development activities are focused on four key categories:
We showcase our region’s unique advantages and those qualities that differentiate it from others. We create awareness of our region, attracting more visitors, investment and jobs.
Recognizing that high performing economic growth is driven by start-ups and entrepreneurs, we support businesses in realizing their full potential through their start and early growth phases.
Business retention and expansion is the foundation of core economic development activities. We maintain relationships with members of our local existing business base, across all key sectors throughout the region.
Working in alignment with each municipality throughout the City and County, we focus on attracting new investments in the region’s established key sectors: Agriculture, Aerospace, Clean Technology, Manufacturing (Industry 4.0), Tourism and Small Business.
Ontario Tourism Resiliency Awards – Sustainable DMO – The O’de Pittaanemaan Pledge
Tourism Industry Association of Ontario – 2022
EDCO Award of Excellence – Advertising – From Farm to Table – Shining the spotlight on Food & Agriculture
Economic Developers Council of Ontario – 2017
Ontario Tourism Marketing & Travel Media Awards of Excellence – Tourism Marketing Campaign Award (under $50k)
Tourism Industry Association of Ontario – 2017
Ontario Tourism Awards of Excellence – Culinary Tourism Leadership Award for Peterborough & the Kawarthas Tourism for Under Water Dining at Lock 21
Tourism Industry Association of Ontario + Culinary Tourism Alliance – 2017
EDCO Award of Excellence – Special Events Award for Underwater Dining at Lock 21
Economic Developers Council of Ontario – 2017
Ontario Tourism Awards of Excellence – Tourism Marketing Campaign Award (under $50k) for “Grab Life by the Handlebars” campaign
Tourism Industry Association of Ontario – 2016
Peterborough Business Excellence Awards – Tourism Award – Peterborough & the Kawarthas Tourism
Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce – 2016
EDCO Award of Excellence – Public-Private Partnership – Peterborough & the Kawarthas Classics Road Cycling Routes – PKED, Shimano Canada
Economic Developers Council of Ontario – 2015
Site Selection – Canada’s Best 2 Invest – Greater Peterborough Area Economic Development Corporation for outstanding Economic Development; Top Canadian Economic Development Group
Site Selection 2012- 2013
EDCO Award of Excellence – Travel Trade/ Group Tour: The Art of Exploring & the Art of Meeting
Economic Developers Council of Ontario – 2009