Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development’s third annual Business Count Survey will take place from May 4th to August 26th, 2022.
The Business Count team will be contacting businesses throughout the County of Peterborough and the City of Peterborough during the month of August 2022.
Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development (PKED) will be conducting a brief voluntary count that will provide valuable insight into the region’s economy. It is important that data is collected on as many businesses in the community as possible to establish a healthy benchmark for local employers, planners, and workforce.
The business count will ask questions such as:
- How many people do you employ?
- What is the square footage of your business?
- Do you import or export?
- What is the legal status and ownership of your company?
The business count data will:
- Provide a valuable annual snapshot of the region’s business community
- Identify vacant properties and spaces for new and existing businesses to locate, supporting the region’s main streets, business corridors and storefronts
- Provide improved regional workforce data
- Assist in making better informed decisions related to job growth, workforce development, business opportunities and community development initiatives
Employment data is being collected with four objectives:
- To establish a solid and dependable employment database
- To update our internal business directory
- To facilitate the regular collection of employment data in the future
- To enhance communication channels with businesses to directly share programs and opportunities that can benefit their operations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I know the count is legitimate?
If a surveyor calls you over the phone they will be calling from a verified Peterborough & the Kawarthas line. If you are unsure that it is someone from Peterborough and the Kawarthas Economic Development, please contact Suzanne McCrimmon.
Q: Why can’t PKED get this data from my taxes?
Tax information is strictly confidential and cannot be accessed by PKED staff. In addition, the Business Count requires specific data that is best obtained through a face-to-face interview process.
Q: Will my answers be kept confidential?
The information is being used, in part, to generate an updated internal business directory. We will provide municipalities the results of the count for businesses that agree to share the results. This will be something that we strongly recommend when administering the count. Businesses that do not want their information shared will have the specific details of their count kept private.
Q: I was already asked similar questions last week, why am I being asked this again?
It is possible that staff from another Regional department, local municipality or organization such as a Business Improvement Area were collecting information. PKED staff will not be interviewing an establishment multiple times.
|General Business Contact Information|
|Business Phone Number||Private|
|Business Fax Number||Private|
|“Are you a manufacturing business? If yes, what market sector does your business serve?”||Aggregate|
|Number of Employees||Aggregate|
|“Are you hiring in the future?”||Aggregate|
|“Is your operation unionized?”||Aggregate|
|Total Floor Space||Aggregate|
|Farm – Acres||Aggregate|
|“Are you planning on expanding your floor space?”||Aggregate|
|“Is your floor space Owned or Leased?”||Aggregate|
|Year Business Established||Aggregate|
|Year Business Established at this location||Aggregate|
|Locations outside of the Region||Aggregate|
PKED staff may use this information publicly in aggregated form. For example, the floor space square footage of a specific business will not be made public, but the total amount of floor space in a municipality could be used publicly.
PKED staff will only use this information for internal purposes and will not share or publish the information.