Q2 – April – June 2023
PKED Strategic Plan Progress Report Q2 2023
The second quarter saw a constant flow of exciting activities at PKED. Meetings with developers, new small businesses launching, the 2023 Business Count Survey being underway, and the kick-off to another active tourism season all work together to bring a spirit of optimism and energy to the PKED offices.
Outside of traditional economic development, PKED was pleased to support the ongoing work of Sustainable Peterborough, which has begun to activate their new Strategic Plan, focusing on localizing indicator data based on UN Sustainable Development Goals: SDG 1 No Poverty; SDG 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities as well as SDG8 – Decent Work and Economic Growth.
The second quarter also saw the transfer of family physician recruitment and retention responsibilities to PKED. We were pleased to see the momentum develop and synergies align between tourism, traditional economic development, hosting familiarization tours, and physician recruitment and retention. This quarter saw us collectively work together and host our first prospective family physician and her family.
In each of these scenarios above, I am reminded of the support that we give and receive across this region from individuals and partner organizations. This is a community of collaboration and cooperation. Whether volunteering to measure progress within the UN Sustainable Goals framework, supporting new business start-ups and entrepreneurs, or the community coming together to help “sell” Peterborough & the Kawarthas as a destination of choice for a new physician or business, there has been a full community effort to support these initiatives, and it is what sets us apart from other regions.
There is great interest in Peterborough & the Kawarthas, and we are fortunate to witness this community spirit first-hand.
President & CEO
April – June 2023
Economic Development Dashboard
April – June 2023
What has PKED been up to lately?
Local Outreach and Collaborations in the First Quarter
- Attended and participated in the Ontario East booths at the Restaurants Canada Show and the SIAL show
- Presented at the Peterborough Airport Summit
- Attended the EV & Charging Expo
- Participated in the Ontario East Quarterly Meeting
- Attended the KMA Networking Meeting
- EDO One-On-One with Selwyn Township
- Peterborough Musicfest
- PRHC Physician Recruitment Team
- Funding Forum Event in conjunction with the Innovation Cluster- Peterborough Kawartha
- Trent University – Community & External Relations (Student Welcome)
- Peterborough & the Kawarthas Chamber of Commerce Summer Social and Business Summit
- Participated in Peterborough Day at Queen’s Park
- BDC – client referral opportunities and Small Business Week content collaboration
- Canadian Canoe Museum – site tour, marketing opportunities discussion
- Attended the Green Economy Peterborough – Leadership in Sustainability Awards
- Small Business presentations for Kawartha Family Business Group and Greater Peterborough Business Group
- Attended the OBIAA and SBC Ontario Conferences
- Adam Scott CVI Careers Day: Economic Development and Summer Co. Presentation