Q3 – July – September 2023
PKED Strategic Plan Progress Report Q3 2023
Third Quarter Update
The third quarter is a busy time in Peterborough & the Kawarthas. It begins when the region rolls out the welcome mat for millions of visitors during the popular summer vacation tourism season and ends with a warm “welcome back” to thousands of post-secondary students, breathtaking fall colours, and the bounty of the fall harvest season. It is also a very busy time for the Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development team, who are busy touching base with the business community and executing the annual business count survey.
By the end of the third quarter, our team had spoken with more than 1,200 businesses throughout the region, gathering intel on current business conditions, challenges, and opportunities, which will be compiled into a report that will be shared with our stakeholders and the business community later this year.
While the team is busy compiling the data for a formal report, they have also been busy following up with businesses one-to-one, providing support, and working with partner organizations to provide enhanced business support programming and workshops based on real-time feedback from the business community.
I continue to be inspired by the strength and resiliency of the Peterborough & the Kawarthas business community. The collaborative and supportive ecosystem of business support organizations in this region creates an environment that makes it an ideal place to start and grow a business.
President & CEO
July – September 2023
Economic Development Dashboard
July – September 2023
What has PKED been up to lately?
Local Outreach and Collaborations in the Third Quarter
- ‘Move the Collection’ Partner Photoshoot with Canadian Canoe Museum
- Hosted DBIA Caesarfest Launch
- Participated as a sponsor of the Discover the Boro partnership with DBIA & Trent University
- Participated and sponsored the 2023 Farm Showcase Tour organized by Peterborough Agriculture Roundtable
- Hosted the Agriculture Canada Familiarization Tour and Peterborough & the Kawarthas Agriculture Forum
- Hosted Invest Ontario in Peterborough & the Kawarthas with a tour of Flying Colours, Peterborough Airport and Cleantech Commons
- Hosted virtual information session on the Digital Competence Centre in partnership with City of Kawartha Lakes Economic Development
- Attended the Ontario East Municipal Conference in Ottawa
- Attended Buckhorn District Tourist Association AGM
- Participated in the Red Take Reduction Roundtable hosted by the Peterborough and the Kawarthas Chamber of Commerce and MPP Dave Smith
- Business Advisory Centre presented to Trent University Business Administration students on entrepreneurship and New Venture planning
- Tourism Business Development Corporation community presentations – Kawartha Lakes and Peterborough Region
- Participated in Tourism Day at Queens Park as part of a delegation from the Tourism Industry Association of Ontario
- Hosted Get the Scoop event at the Visitor Centre on National Ice Cream Day and partnered with Central Smith Creamery
- Participated in the Local Show at Lansdowne Place, hosted by Peterborough and the Kawarthas Chamber of Commerce
- Visitor Services supported multiple events throughout the summer as part of Tourism in Motion, including Lock & Paddle, Folk Festival, Lakefield Jazz, Art & Craft Festival